Monday, December 19, 2011

Holy Night in Advent.

There is a song by Swedish soprano Anne Sofie von Mutter on her album Home for Christmas that is beautiful and so wonderful for the Advent season. I encourage you to pick up the song off iTunes, on a CD, or wherever you buy your music these days. It is moving.

Here are the lyrics:

Koppängen – Holy Night


There is a silence around me

In the peaceful winter night.

From the church down in the valley

I can see the candlelight

And I stopped for a moment

in this winter paradise

when I heard a choir singing

through the darkness and the ice.


And the rays from the lights behind

the window’s vaulted frames

have united the souls in hope

that something great is waiting.

And I know that those who have left us here

had the same thoughts as I.

We’re like flames in the darkness

and the stars up in the sky.


And I can see that they sparkle,

and they fade before my eyes,

and the truth is coming closer

like a wonder in disguise.

We are caught here a moment

like an imprint of a hand

on an old and frosted window

or a footprint in the sand.


For a while I am eternal –

That’s the only thing I know,

I am here and we share our dreams

about our destination.

It is cold here, the snow is white

but I am warm deep inside,

I am warm because I know that

my faith will be my guide.


Now there is silence around me,

I have heard those words again

in a hymn of grace and glory,

saying: nothing is in vain!

I can sing – and I believe it,

Let the message reach the sky.

Oh silent night,

let your promise never die!


And I long for the others,

it is peaceful in the church.

He was born for a purpose,

and that’s why we are here together.

Holy night, I feel like a child inside,

and believe he was sent.

So I’m lighting a candle

each Sunday in Advent.

No comments: